Thursday, February 10, 2011

Desk: re arrange and re-o

We live in a 2 bedroom condo... I LOVE it and it has some super great features...however, I would love to have a better desk situation. We aren't one of those couples who can have a super small, decorative desk with just a pencil cup and a laptop. Our desk is the real deal. We have files, paper, blank cd's, receipts, etc etc etc!! If you have a better system you'd like to recommend that works for you and allows you to have a very small contained desk..then please let me know! I'm always curious how people do that...

A few years ago I copied a friend who had this desk from Ikea that I really liked. I liked it's storage options and yet it had a very simple feel to it. Later, if you didn't want to use it as a desk you could just switch it to a bookshelf.

So, that is the desk we currently have. The only space we have for it is in our master bedroom. Luckily, our Master is actually fairly spacious. Originally when we moved in we had our desk at an area that was at the foot of our bed. The desk chair would be in between the bed and the desk (does that make sense?). It fit, but it didn't feel or look all that great. We decided to try moving the desk to another area of the room. I won't go into details but it looks and feels great. It's a hidden corner so you don't see the desk right when you walk in the room, and the orientation of the desk creates a little nook that is perfect for hanging out, having e in her swing or on the floor, etc. It just feels good and I'm glad we ended up trying it. (The reason we put it off was because the desk sticks out just a few inches from the wall and we weren't sure if it would work...but in the end it works just fine).

I didn't do a CRAZY overhaul on the desk...and again, I don't have any before pics. All of the containers I have were already there with the exception of the big wicker basket on the bottom left cubicle- I've had that basket for awhile but it's had a number of different functions... I think it works great here hiding some of the desk clutter (CD's, stapler, extra checks).

See?? It's still not that pretty. But we have a lot of stuff.. and I just can't think how to get less of it. I think we just eventually need a big office room....I don't know. I try. Oh and that is our TV on the desk. We bought a new TV for our family room so this one got moved in here. It's so luxurious to watch movies from bed. Ha. The stuff on the desk surface isn't actually there normally... but I just took this picture on a whim while my mom and I were cleaning. So it's not perfect. But hey, neither am I.

No comments: